With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
- Floral Semicircular CushionOld Fashioned Blooms in Earthen Tones Stylish Petals Artsy Illustration Entry Door Mat H 35.4 xD 53.1 Apricot Marigold Brown
- White 63cm JIAYING Coat Racks Coat Rack, Living Room Hook Rack Bedroom Corridor Door Wall Door Back Coat Rack Storage Wall Hanging Hook 26 Hook Multicolor Optional Multifunction
- Vemount Corner TV Wall Mount Bracket Tilt Swivel Full Motion Articulating Arm for Most 26-55 Inch LED, LCD Plasma Smart TV, VESA up to 500x400mm and 99 LBS, with Level Adjustment
- Ldoons Kitchen Bathroom European Bathroom Hot And Cold Basin gold C Faucet
- Globe Faith Eco-friendly Coffee Gift, Pour Over Coffee Maker Espresso Coffee Set, Pour Over Coffee Brewer Drip, Coffee Percolator, Coffee Maker Pot & Cups, Retro Annular Vein Metallic Glaze, Antracite
- Black Retro Copper Heightening Curve Style Faucet Home Hotel Bathroom Bathtub Kitchen Hot and Cold Water Mixing Mixer Sink Basin Tap
- Parmir Water Systems SSK-720 Single Handle Kitchen Faucet, Brushed Steel
- Black GeWu888 Retro Basin Bathroom Sink Faucet Single Handle Hole Deck Hot and Cold Faucet Crane Chrome
- SUABO 80 x 58 inches Area Rug Non-Slip Floor Mat Paisley Pattern Printed Doormats for Living Room Bedroom
- 14 x 26 Bathroom Mirror, Wall Mirror - Handcrafted in U.S.A.
- Abigails 164540 Maui Ripple Cocktail Pitcher
- GE WB26X10136 Turntable Motor for Microwave
- MulFaucet Kitchen Pull-Out Faucet Sink Sink hot and Cold redation Electroplating Faucet
- Makej Basin Faucet Single Handle for Bathroom Lavatory Sink 304 Stainless Steel Tap
- Ywqwdae Continental retro hair style copper single hole sink hot and cold shower
- Kitchen Bath Basin Sink Bathroom Taps Faucets Basin Mixer Faucet Hot & Cold Water Mixer Tap Faucet Ctzl5515
- Lalaky Taps Faucet Kitchen Mixer Sink Waterfall Bathroom Mixer Basin Mixer Tap for Kitchen Bathroom and Washroom Hot and Cold Ceramic Single Hole
- Stella Artois 40CL Chalices,Clear (Pack of 6)
- Kitchen Taps Faucet Modern Kitchen Sink Taps Stainless Steelbathroom Basin Faucet Copper Hot and Cold Single Hole Faucet Toilet Sink Bathroom Cabinet Faucet
- Brass Chrome Modern Waterfall Bathroom Mixer Shower Faucets Bathroom Water Deck Mounted Sink Faucet
- ZHWY golden shower all bronze take a shower Shower set bathroom Lift Antique Rain Shower faucet
- purple Light bluee 2'2 x 4' Safavieh Monaco Collection MNC243G Vintage Oriental Grey and Light bluee Distressed Runner (2'2 x 12')
- Hansgoed Hot And Cold Kitchen Full Copper Pot Water Faucet,Aquality Assurance Of Modern Simple Luxury, Luxury And Ancient Classic Home Decoration
- Byx- Cloth Wardrobe Simple Wardrobe Assembly Cloth Wardrobe Oxford Cloth Storage Clothes Locker byx-Cloth Wardrobe
- Modern Minimalist Bedside Table and Storage Shelf, 16-Inch Square Mini Side Table Sofa Table for Living Room Bedroom Office,White
- SYDDP Breathable Folding Chair Office Meeting Training Chair Plastic Back Chair 57cm × 48cm × 85cm
- Three YAWEDA Copper Washbasin Kitchen Faucet Cold and Hot Water Mixer Hand-Held Small Sprinkler Washbasin Kitchen Sink Faucet Single-Handled Electroplating Can redate 360 Degrees,Two
- Kitchen Faucet Pull-Out Kitchen Taps
- ZQ@QXThe Copper Black bronze continental retro shower SUITE B)
- FH Solid Wood Stool Stacked Small Stools Stylish Simple Dining Stool Home Wooden Benches Non-Plastic Benches FH
- 304 Stainless Steel Contemporary European Dimensions of Round Base, Accessories for Bathroom, Toilet, Paper Cabinet Sleeve of Support, Dry-Towels,B
- A1 HOME COLLECTIONS First Impression Flamingo Welcome Rubber and Coir Doormat, 24 x36 (A1HOME200065 76)
- Commercial Single Lever Pull Down Kitchen Sink Faucet Brass Constructed Polished Sink Faucet Kitchen Full Copper Antique Retro Kitchen Faucet Sink Single Hole Single Hot and Cold Water Faucet
- Keg Regulator, Kegerator Regulator, Beer Regulator, Co2 Tank Regulator, Beer Keg Regulator, Co2 Regulator Gauge with CGA-320 Inlet, 0-60 PSI Working Pressure, 0-3000 PSI Tank Pressure By MRbrew
- 360° redating Faucet Retro Faucetcold Household Bathroom Wash Basin Sink Basin Faucet
- XPYFaucet Kitchen Pull-Out Faucet Hot And Cold Sink Sink Skin Tap
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.